Partager
Printer-friendly version

Current Size: 100%

Abbaye de la Trinité

Rue de l'abbaye
41100 Vendôme
Be the first to give your feedback and help future visitors to get an idea about this place.
1
2
3
4
5
The first Romanesque church :
The building of the minster was as rapid (some thirty years) as it was ambitious. All that remains of this huge construction (70 metres) laid out in the shape of a Latin Cross in 1060-70 are the transept walls.
Other features show the embellishment of the abbey in the 12th century e.g. the Window of Our Lady (currently in the Lady Chapel), the frescoes in the chapter house and the bell tower. At the beginning of the 13th century, Holy Trinity Abbey wanted to gain a reputation as a stopover, close to St. Martin’s tomb in Tours, on the pilgrims’ road to Santiago de Compostela. The transept was then given coloured
vaulting and decorative carvings.

The new Gothic construction :
In 1271, Abbot Renaud IV of Villedieu launched the construction of a new minster to replace the Romanesque church. Circa 1280, the lower sections of the chancel were given a vaulted roof and windows. Circa 1320, plans to demolish the transept were scrapped. At the transept crossing a vaulted roof was built and decorative features were added. From 1320-25, the two spans in the nave, closest to the transept were rebuilt; they were completed in 1357. The Hundred Years’ War interrupted the rebuilding project. However, at the end of the 14th century, it did not prevent the restoration of the rafters in the radiating chapels and above the Flamboyant Gothic windows in the nave. At the same time, work was carried out in the abbey buildings (chapter house). A text from 1501 mentioned the need for the work to progress more quickly. Jean Texier alias Jean de Beauce completed the Gothic church with the West Front (and the first span) circa 1498-1508.

From the monks of St. Maur to the Rochambeau Army District :
In the 17th century, Maurist Benedictines moved into the abbey. The South wing of the cloister is the most outstanding example of their work. When the French Revolution broke out in 1789, the monks
left the abbey. In 1803, the old monastery was taken over by the Army. An
indoor riding ring, stables and barracks were then added to this major cavalry depot, which took the name Rochambeau District in 1886. The 1914-18 war decimated the troops of the 20e Chasseurs à cheval (20th Mounted Rifles) but the military use of the buildings continued when they were taken over by the gendarmerie. Nowadays, the buildings surrounding the old cloister house the museum, music school and a number of cultural associations. The cloister garth is used for free concerts in the summer.

Mise en lumière de l'Abbaye de la Trinité

  • Abbaye de la Trinité 2 - Vendôme
  • Abbaye de la Trinité 3 - Vendôme
  • Abbaye de la Trinité 4 - Vendôme
  • Abbaye de la Trinité 5 - Vendôme
  • Abbaye de la Trinité 6 - Vendôme
  • Abbaye de la Trinité 7 - Vendôme
  • Abbaye de la Trinité 8 - Vendôme
  • Abbaye de la Trinité 9 - Vendôme
  • Abbaye de la Trinité 10 - Vendôme
  • Abbaye de la Trinité 11 - Vendôme
  • Abbaye de la Trinité 12 - Vendôme
  • Abbaye de la Trinité 13 - Vendôme
  • Abbaye de la Trinité 2 - Vendôme
  • Abbaye de la Trinité 3 - Vendôme
  • Abbaye de la Trinité 4 - Vendôme
  • Abbaye de la Trinité 5 - Vendôme
  • Abbaye de la Trinité 6 - Vendôme
  • Abbaye de la Trinité 7 - Vendôme
  • Abbaye de la Trinité 8 - Vendôme
  • Abbaye de la Trinité 9 - Vendôme
  • Abbaye de la Trinité 10 - Vendôme
  • Abbaye de la Trinité 11 - Vendôme
  • Abbaye de la Trinité 12 - Vendôme
  • Abbaye de la Trinité 13 - Vendôme